Wednesday 7 April 2010

6/ 30 Memory and Sight

Today's poem in the 30/30 task
Born from the sight out a young girl with a home made kite I saw on my driving lesson today :) and fear not she still lives :)

6/ 30

MEMORY AND SIGHT

You remind me of a little kite
I once saw.
Home made
with simple care
and much love.
A plastic bag,
some sellotape
and string
turned into a joyus token of youth
that will never diminish
or destroy,
for hundreds of years,
past the life expectancy
of anyone roaming your world now.

Every time I face you
I become that little girl
I saw
and you become a kite of humble origin.

I hold the string tight
to keep a connection
as strong as bone
but without the fit of a noose,
or the constriction of a ball and chain
to keep you cemented to the earth
or weigh you down
with regret or experiences
and the consequences they give birth to
like women on fertility treatments
that become mothers of quadruplets.

I just watch you soar
above me
and come to familiarise the crick in my neck
with fondness
like a favourite word
or the scent of aloe vera

and you know I'm there,
even without sight
as cloudes fill your ambitious view
you feel me gently holding your little toe,
wrapping it around my hard working as emigrants fingers
offering all the support I can
without trying to set your course.

The wind can take you
where it wants you
and I will follow after,
in word or footstep.

So good luck,
I wish you well dear friend
in everything

and if you flew away upon the wind today
I'd be thankful always
for the youth you returned to me
like a damaged or faulty good
still perfectly usable

and you will always smell like plastic
not a manly musk
in memories to me
and I will think of you
when I buy weekly the things that replenish me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: